Leadership & Vision Team meets Tuesday, Aug. 25 , at 6:30 pm in the Fellowship Hall. Please note this meeting is set for the fourth Tuesday. Team members are: Nancy Forrester, Lelia Perry, Bobbie Warden, Beverly Smith, Alicia Ronquillo, Jin Lane, Samantha Gray, Kim Lundin, Dan Perry, Tony Lundin, Jack Hurlbert, Michael Forrester, Dan Gray.
Traditional Worship Planning Team will meet on Thursday, Aug. 27 at 3:30 pm.
Our Johnson City District is accepting nominations for At Large Lay Members to the Holston Annual Conference , which will be June 5-8, 2016 at Lake Junaluska, NC. Nominations forms are due to the district office by Monday, Sept. 14. For more info, see Pastor Dan.
At this past Annual Conference, our delegates pledged that we would encourage each church member to give 10 hours of service this year to children in poverty in our community. We hope that you are working toward that goal, and will encourage that in your Sunday School, Life Group, UMM, UMW, Circle of Faith, youth ministries, children’s ministries, etc.
Some highlights from the Church Council on August 16:
- Approval of the name for our property next door, based on your vote — the Carrier Hope House .
- Approval of an ad hoc team to create a bigger presence for our congregation at Heritage Days . This umbrella team will be chaired by Mike Miller and will coordinate participation of groups and interested individuals.
- Approval of Michael Forrester as the SPRC Chair, our personnel team.
- Approval of hiring a youth ministry intern for 5 hours per week, subject to obtaining pledges or contributions to cover 9 months of compensation at $200 per month. As of our Church Council meeting, we have $1600 of the $1800 pledged! If you would like to give a designated contribution , please use an envelope for cash or write a check payable to the church marked “Youth Ministry Intern.”
- The Hospitality Campaign needs about $9000 to finish our projects of getting a new marquee and making parking lot improvements.
- Approval of payment of about $50,000 from our Door Beyond capital campaign funds toward our loan debt on the Carrier Hope House property.
- Approval of spending up to $1000 to move the sound system in the Sanctuary to the right side (facing toward the pulpit), removing the last two pews on the right side. This change will provide a nicer welcoming space and fellowship area as one enters and exits the Sanctuary, and help us accommodate the entrance and exits of caskets. Funding is provided from our Helen Webb Thomas account via our Money Market account.
The Connections Team will meet Tuesday, August 25, at 2:00 PM in the Willing Workers Classroom. Team members are: Joyce Durham, Joan Williams, Bobbie Warden, Beverly Smith, Lelia Perry, Delores Williams, Nancy Forrester, Dan Gray and Jin Lane.
Rockhold UMC invites us for a social evening of singing and refreshments on Sunday, August 30th at 6:00 pm. Rockhold’s sister church, Enterprise, is also invited.
The Senior Adult Gathering will be held Thursday, September 17, 2015, 10:00 am at Edgefield UMC, Piney Flats. Worship leader will be Rev. Joey Manis. Registration is due by September 10. Please see flyer on bulletin board for more information.
Johnson City District Lay Servant Training at Cokesbury JC (formerly Cherokee) will be on Saturday, November 7, 2015 from 8:30 a.m.—4:30 p.m. Registration fee is $25.00 and needs to be returned by Wednesday, October 28. Please see office for more information.