Today is All Saints Sunday , celebrated on the first Sunday in November to commemorate all Christian people of every time and place. All Saints Day is November 1. The term “saints” in the New Testament usage refers to Christians collectively. We celebrate the communion of saints as we remember our loved ones who have transitioned into the next life, both of the Church universal and of our local congregation. We remember those who have died since the last All Saints Day.
On Communion Sundays, usually the first Sunday of each month, we collect a special offering to share with our brothers and sisters at the Robinson Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church. On Communion Sundays, usually the first Sunday of each month, we collect a special offering to share with our brothers and sisters at the Robinson Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church. Claiming our oneness in Christ Jesus and to help bridge the racial divide in our culture and because of our shared heritage, we support that congregation with a gift of $100 per month. During Communion, you can bring your offering forward. You can make a check payable to Bluff City UMC and write “AME Zion” in the memo line.
Our second Sunday of each month is Invite A Friend Sunday. We would like each person who regularly attends worship to be praying specifically for someone and to invite them to come to worship that Sunday. Of course, you can invite a friend to come any time, but we hope you will make a special effort for Invite A Friend Sundays.
Charge Conference is TODAY, 3:00 pm at Sulphur Springs UMC , 1432 Gray Station Sulphur Springs Rd, Jonesborough, TN 37659. Charge Conference is our annual meeting of our church where officers are elected for the coming year. It also receives reports, reviews and evaluates the total mission and ministry of the congregation, and adopts objectives and goals recommended by the Church Council. It also recommends candidates for the ordained and diaconal ministry to the District Committee on Ordained Ministry or to the Conference Board of Diaconal Ministry. The district superintendent calls the meeting and presides over it. Anyone may attend the meeting. All members of the Church Council are members of the Charge Conference and expected to attend. Church Council/ Charge Conference members are: Tony Lundin (Chair), Nancy Forrester, Lelia Perry, Bobbie Warden, Carole Miller, Jane Bellamy, Lana Butler, Elaine Good, Mike Miller, James Altman, Taylor Lee, Jin Lane, Priscilla Keene, Samantha Gray, Betsy Carrier, Dan Perry, Betty Malone, Jack Hurlbert, Michael Forrester, Joan Williams, Herman Carrier, Valerie Altman, Bruce Stewart, Dan Gray.
Thank you so very much for your gracious words and generous gifts for Pastor Appreciation! It is a joy to share the journey of faith with you. We are deeply grateful for your love and friendship!
With love, Pastor Dan and Samantha
November Birthdays and Anniversaries
2 Cherry Reynolds
3 Josh Durham
24 Joan Williams
26 John Perry
27 Brian Durham
28 Evelyn Hurley
29 Gabi Francis Lane
4 Scott & Kathy McClellan
6 Dan and Alicia Ronquillo
7 C. P. and Jim Lane
8 Allen and Paula Durham
10 Ministry Service Opportunities
1. Cold calling people in our community to invite them to one of our worship services. Can be done from your home. Next step: talk with Lelia Perry, Witness Team Chair.
2. Deliver food sacks from Second Harvest Foodbank to Bluff City Elementary School and Bluff City Middle School. You are part of a rotation of volunteers, doing it once every few months. You pick up the food sacks at Piney Flats UMC at 9 am on a designated Wednesday. It takes about 1.5 hours. You will need a truck or minivan. Next step: talk with Nancy Forrester, coordinator.
3. Bake cookies for Cookie Love. These cookies are delivered to Bluff City Middle School once per month. You will be part of a rotation of people who bake cookies. Next step: talk with Kathy Hurlbert, coordinator.
4. Deliver Cookie Love cookies to Bluff City Middle School teachers. You will take cookies from the church to the school. You will be part of a rotation of deliverers. Next step: talk with Kathy Hurlbert, coordinator.
5. Nursery volunteer once per month on Sunday morning. Next step: talk with Taylor Lee.
6. Visit newcomers to Bluff City community to provide info about our church. Next step: talk with Lelia Perry, Witness Team Chair.
7. Decoration for altar for contemporary service. Next step: talk with Nancy Forrester.
8. Wed night van driver and/or 2nd adult rider. You will be part of a rotation of people. Next step: talk with Taylor Lee.
9. Play the drums for contemporary worship service. Next step: talk with Nancy Forrester.
10. Sing a solo at either worship service. Next step: talk with Nancy Forrester for Contemporary Worship or Kim Lundin for Traditional Worship.
You can also complete the blue Connection Card indicating your interest, and place it in the offering basket/plate, and someone will contact you.
Next Sunday we will be collecting canned goods and monetary donations for the Rockhold Food Pantry. Monetary donations would be appreciated as turkeys need to be purchased for the food boxes. If you give a monetary donation, please write “Rockhold Food Pantry” on the memo line of your check.
Family in Need—The home of Loretta, Don and C. J. Shackleford (age 13) on Jonesboro Road, Bluff City, burned last month. They are in need of everything. Some furniture has been donated. Clothing sizes are:
Loretta—10-12, x-large shirts, size 8 shoes
Don—38 x 32 pants, x-large shirts, size 12 shoes
J. 32 x 31 pants, men’s large shirts, size 13 shows.
If you have questions, please call Joan Williams 538-3535.
A new Acappella group has started for young people. It meets on Wednesday at 8:00 PM in the Choir room. The practices will be short and sweet! See Kim Lundin if interested.